How to choose between a Quartz Worktop and a Granite Worktop
There are lots of options available and decisions to be made when it comes to kitchen worktop shopping. Kitchen worktops are now made from a range of materials, including stainless steel, glass and marble, to name a few. But the best, the most robust, most exquisite looking worktop is almost always made from one of two materials. The quartz worktop and the granite worktop remain the most preferred choice for most people who are looking to redesign or renovate their kitchen. And when you look at their advantages and the styles they can create, it is easy to see why.
However, this does lead to one burning and highly debated question, which is better? A quartz kitchen surface, or a granite kitchen surface?
Why are these two kitchen worktops so popular?
One thing both of these kitchen worktops have in common is their beauty is outstanding, they add the wow factor to the kitchen. The luxury and exquisite tone quartz and granite inject into the room, is something that cannot be matched by most other materials. They are also very durable, hard-wearing and long-lasting, especially when properly sealed, treated and maintained. What’s more is both granite and quartz can be incorporated in a range of different styles, allowing you to truly make your kitchen space your own, with your own design. There are however, some differences. To help you to make the choice between a granite kitchen surface or a quartz kitchen surface, here are is an overview of both.
What are Quartz Worktops?
A quartz worktop is a man-made alternative to its granite equivalent. Made using natural quartz which is then fortified with resin, the quartz worktop is one of the more eye-catching and luxurious kitchen worktops available.
The benefits of a quartz worktop:
- Made from natural quartz which one of the hardest minerals in the earth, this kitchen worktop extremely hard-wearing and long-lasting.
- Quartz is non-porous, which means bacteria is unable to grow and as such a quartz worktop is antibacterial. It is also easy to clean
- Stain resistant, the durability of this material ensures it will last a long time, making it perfect for a busy kitchen.
- Has a much better heat resistant than most other materials.
- As this is a man-made product, it comes in a full spectrum of colours, styles and designs, which means it is customisable and suits a wide range of kitchen styles. Something you won’t find in other, natural, materials such as stone or granite.
- Quartz worktops never need sealing, which makes them easy to maintain.
The drawbacks of a quartz kitchen surface
- Quartz kitchen surfaces are often a bit more expensive than some of the other materials options available.
- Quartz is not as heat resistant as materials such as granite, concrete or crushed glass. It can burn so you do need to be cautious about putting very hot things on it.
- The quartz kitchen surface can look contemporary and man-made, some people do prefer a more natural look.
What are Granite Worktops?
Stunning, beautiful, timeless, the granite worktop has always been one of the most popular choice for a kitchen worktop. Granite is a natural rock which is then cut in its natural state, before being polished. While it may not have an unlimited colour option, the addition of granite to your room is sure add the wow factor.
The benefits of a granite worktop:
- Granite is also extremely durable and hard-wearing. Not only will it last a long time, but it will also look newer for longer, as it is scratch resistant too.
- Being heat resistant, granite is able to resist any temperature changes it is subjected to, which means it wont burn or melt.
- Like quartz, granite is antibacterial.
- With the right equipment, granite can be shaped and designed to work well in any kitchen space.
The drawbacks of a granite kitchen surface
- Granite requires more maintenance, it needs to be cleaned thoroughly after every use, with warm water and soap. This is to prevent it from becoming stained and help to retain its shine.
- As granite is a natural stone, the colour options available are much more limited than with man-made materials such as quartz. However, this does not take anything away from how spectacular they look.
- While a granite kitchen surface can be cut, it is not easy and designing a kitchen using granite is likely to be more complicated than most other materials.
- Like quartz, a granite kitchen surface is likely to cost more than most other materials.
If you still need help choosing your kitchen worktop, why not contact one of our expert designer now.